Seek and Find

Google

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Gap Band, Charlie Wilson, Bombs & Cancer


Charlie Wilson: Diagnosed With Prostate Cancer

With the release of his second solo album, 'Uncle Charlie,' less than two weeks away, famed R&B artist Charlie Wilson has announced that he is undergoing treatment for prostate cancer.

The 'Yearning For Your Love' singer was diagnosed with the male reproductive system disease last fall and began therapy on Nov. 21. Wilson's sudden diagnosis has lead him to team up with the Prostate Cancer Foundation to help raise awareness and research funds for prostate cancer.

"When I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in September, I thought to myself 'I'm too young... this isn't a cancer I should be getting,'" Wilson said in a statement. "While I was surprised to discover that this disease strikes one out of every six American men, I was astounded to learn that African American men are 1.6 times more likely than others to be diagnosed with prostate cancer. My wife, Mahin, and I are very fortunate. I was lucky to be diagnosed and begin treatment early. My prognosis is excellent."

The former
Gap Band frontman has already started utilizing his celebrity status to help inform more African American men on the illness. Men are 35 percent more likely to develop prostate cancer than women are to be diagnosed with breast cancer.

"I am excited to be working with the PCF. They are the driving force behind many of the advances that have been made in prostate cancer treatment to date," says Wilson. "Their work has helped reduce the death rate by nearly 40 percent in the past few years. Together, I believe we can make an important impact.

"The Grammy-nominated artist also noted that his wife's support has played a major in his recent campaign. "We men don't want to consider or vocalize our vulnerabilities. It was my wife who kept after me to see my doctor for a screening," he revealed. "I thank God she did. Now I feel compelled to spread the word about prostate cancer."

This spring Wilson will be taking his message on the road with him and overseas to U.S. troops in Iraq and Kuwait while touring in support of his forthcoming album.

Charlie Wilson's 'Uncle Charlie,' featuring the top-ten single 'There Goes My Baby,' hits stores and digital retailers on Feb. 17.





We are all with YOU Charlie! Much success with the new album and continued progress with your health.

"You Dropped A Bomb On Me" - One Of The Best Songs Ever!!

No comments: